Wednesday, May 5, 2010

Crying in class --

Today, in my U.S. History class we began to watch "We were Soldiers". We just finished going over Vietnam in class. I had never watched this movie before, so I didn't know what to expect from it. The teacher told us she cries everytime she watches it, this meant nothing to us because she cries over commericals and stories we tell her in class that are not even sad. Over emotional? I think so.

So, I didn't think anything of this movie being sad or what not. We began to watch it and we get to the point where one of the men's wife has there baby. What do you know our teacher is crying ALREADY. All the girls are saying "Awh, thats so cute." Girls you know how we are. So the teacher sucks it up and we move on.

Then here it comes the part where they find out they are being deployed. The teacher began to sob when the woman simply said "Ladies time to pull out your best dress" or something along that line. Lol. We all look at her turn around and contimue to watch the movie.

Shortly after that Mel Gibson gives the speech the men go home for the last night with there wives. As the men start to leave I loose it. I grab his dogtags from around my neck and begin to squeeze them tightly in my hands while I am crying. I look around and 3 of my class mates are crying along with my teacher. I didn't feel so silly now.

Soon, I realized I had a reason to be upset about it and to be crying over a movie. What they are going through in that movie, I am facing in reality. The deployments, constant worrying, the struggles, and the seperation. I know I have actually been through a deployment yet, but I know I will sooner than I want too. The other girls in class have no idea what it is like to have a relationship with someone in the military.

The only good thing I see to this crying and thinking about deployment was I know that every time it crosses my mind that it is making me mentally stronger and ready for when he does get deployed. This is just another way I am preparing myself for the future. Sometimes I just wish I had someone who actually understood what I am going through and was there for me. None, of the girls I know are faced with this challenge in their life. That is why I have turned to blogging.

Also, another thing that really upset me today. Well to tell you the truth it didn't upset me, it made me mad. One of the girls in my class made the statement that "if my boyfriend or husband was ever deployed the day he left I would tell him I want our marriaged nulled". That is horrible I am sorry. How could you do that. You know what you are getting into when you engage yourself in a relationship with someone in the military. Ugh, so aggrevating. I gave her my opinions along with the other girls in class that agreed that was wrong. I realize not everyone has the same views and that a military relationship is not for everyone! Way to make my day WORSE!!

On that note. I hope everyone is having a peachy keen day : )

4 comments:

  1. I really like that movie although I haven't watched it all the way through since my husband joined the Army. There is a scene that I think is beautiful in the deleted scenes that always makes me cry. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FNqix0Dg0Ss

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good for you for standing up for yourself. There are a lot of misconceptions about being with someone in the military and at the end of the day you just have to know that your relationship is strong and meaningful to you and your significant other. Let other people misunderstand or jump to conclusions - just knowing that you've made the right decision for yourself will keep you strong!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jessica,
    You should know that im always here for you. yes my boyfriend might not be in the military but yet i have had three people deployed along with two of my best friends and i know what you are going through with all the worrying and what not. it does suck and i know that and you can talk to me about anything as long as it doesnt make me cry;; i love you girl : )
    --The military sister

    ReplyDelete
  4. I haven't seen that movie yet and I'm not sure I can now that my fiancé is deployed... I have to stay away from sad military movies until he's home, they just make me too sad!

    Hello by the way! I'm slowly making my way through the MilSpouse blog hop and wanted to say hello and thanks for following! I'm a new follower, too. :)

    ReplyDelete